Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Institute for Creation Research

Today I took a trip back down memory lane and visited The Institute for Creation Research in Lakeside. I took a quick tour of the museum, and grabbed some brochures. I'll be doing some individual blogs in response to some of the brochures I took.

The contradiction between the Genesis creation narratives and flood narrative with empirical evidence and observation caused me a great amount of dissonance and uncomfort while growing up. I placed so much value and psychic stability on my beliefs that anything seemingly contradicting them was disturbing. I had the mind set that if that part of the Bible was incorrect, then by what authority do I edit it out? And, who gets to decided which parts of the Bible are correct or incorrect? I had an all-or-nothing philosophy; believe in the entire Bible literally, or don't bother believing any of it at all.

Lately, I feel quite secure in believing the earth is far far older than what the Bible or creationists claim, but I am also feeling more secure that I'm not bound to an all or nothing dilemma of believing everything or nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment